Sunday, January 29, 2012

Trained Impatience

I'm not very good at waiting.  I've known for awhile.  But I just chalked it up to being an impatient process-rusher.  However, I've come to realize that the explanation runs a little deeper than that.

In 7th grade, I joined a group called Leadership in my Junior High School.  We planned the student events at the school, ran the Student Store and organized class elections.  It was there that I first started to recognize and cultivate my leadership skills.  I began to practice event planning and public speaking.  And I was good at it.

I continued to be involved in Leadership throughout Junior High and High School.  I even branched out to leadership in other things that I was involved in.  My resume was pretty impressive:

- JV Soccer Captain
- Yearbook Staff (sophomore and junior years)
- Editor of the Yearbook (senior year)
- Junior class VP (or maybe it was secretary...I don't remember for sure)
- Student Body President (senior year)
- AP classes my Junior and Senior years
- Varsity Soccer my Junior and Senior years
- Participated in the National Teen Leadership Program every summer (and got my school to pay for 10 students to come 1 summer)

Anyways....All that to say that I was well trained and putting my leadership skills into action.

One of the things leaders learn to do is get things done efficiently, under budget and before the deadline.

What does any of this have to do w/ not being patient, you ask?

Well, I was trained to do things well in the shortest amount of time possible.  So, it makes sense now that long processes make me antsy and uncomfortable.  And when I'm not in control of the timing of things, you can imagine how much more itchy my fingers get to make things go faster.


But God is teaching me how to follow His leadership and wait on His timing.  While I'm no longer a process-rusher, intervening in things to get things done in my timing, I'm still waiting on waiting cheerfully for God to do His thing.  I'm getting better at it.  But I'm still a work in progress.


No comments: