Sunday, January 1, 2012

Not the Same Person

On Friday, I decided that I needed to get away, relax, do something different and get some final 2011 reflection time in.  I decided to go to Solvang - about 2 hours away from the Valley.  I chose Solvang because I knew I wouldn't get distracted there by shopping malls or outlets and because there's a park there where I could think in peace.  I also chose Solvang because I went there 2 and a half years ago w/ Candiss and there was something symbolic about going again this year.

In 2009, when I first went to Solvang, I was in a very emotional broken state.  I lost a lot in 2009 (unaffectionately named, Hurricane 2009) and the pain was very fresh when we visited this random Danish themed town.

The Santa Ines Mission is in Solvang.  It's one of the missions that was built under the leadership of Father Junipero Serra.  Now, I'm not a catholic, but the significance of the stations of the cross was not lost on me. I was reminded then that I wasn't alone.  That I had a Saviour who cares so much for me that He suffered for me.  Then, I sat on a bench and cried.  I was so hurt and broken and unsure of when things would get better.

Thankfully, life is SO much better now.  I've gone through the healing process and I'm not the same person that I was in 2009 when I first went to that mission.  So I thought it would be symbolic to go back and I did.  I walked through the stations of the cross in awe.  I found the bench that I sat on.  Only this time, I had a smile on my face and joy in my whole body.

I ended 2011 with a grateful heart.

1 comment:

kathie said...

Isn't it wonderful how God can take us from despair and bring us into peace and contentment? He carries us when we we're weak...He loves us in sorrow...and brings us so much joy and peace. So proud of you, Dionna.